Hey there.. welcome to my new blog post “WordPress permalink in ubuntu”. I have seen lots of people facing problem to make it work wordpress permalinks / pretty links and searching various sites / forums to find solution. So if you are here, then I am sure you are on the right page…. 😀
Steps to fix this issue:-
- If you do not have .htaccess file in your wp root directory then manually create .htaccess file and save it.
- Open Ubuntu terminal and type and click enter:-
sudo chown -v :www-data "/wp_root_directory_path/.htaccess"
You should see a printed line “changed ownership of `xyz/.htaccess’ from user_name:user_name to :www-data”. If yes then file ownership has been changed to “www-data”.
- File permission:- Give write access to the file:
sudo chmod -v 664 "/wp_root_directory_path/.htaccess"
You should see a line printed that the mode of the file has been retained.
- Allow wordpress to write to the .htaccess file by enabling mod_write.
sudo a2enmod rewrite
After enter this command through terminal you will see a printed line that it is enabling mod rewrite and reminding you to restart the web server
- Restart Web Server:-
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
We are done with command line, now we can close terminal 🙂
- Go into your WordPress admin panel (i.e. http://yourDomain/wp-admin). Go to the Settings –> Permalinks and select the permalink format of your choice. Hit the “Save Changes” button.
- DONE! Go to your site and check any page (other than your homepage) to ascertain that everything is working as expected.
I hope this blog helps someone to make it work permalinks, please feel free to comment it below.